Christian Golfers Association team
wins golf outing at Tygart Lake course
A Christian Golfers Association team comprised of Sam Moore, John Cale and Ron Lamb, all of Buckhannon, won the 2021 Arnold Eddy Memorial Golf Outing held at the Tygart Lake Public Golf Course near Grafton.
The Sept. 10 event attracted a total of 27 golfers from as far away as Parkersburg and Charleston.
The Moore-Cale-Lamb team turned in a scorecard with a blistering 14 under par.
A team comprised of Terry Mayfield of Flemington and Gary Reed, Bob Collins and David Tonkin, all of Barrackville, representing the Barrackville United Methodist Church, placed second, scoring nine under par.
Sam Moore won the closest-to-the-pin contest. Phil Leinbach of Morgantown, playing with Wesley United Methodist Church Team 2, Morgantown, won the longest putt contest and Ray McCoy, playing with a team representing the United Methodist Foundation of West Virginia, Inc., won the longest drive competition.
Amy Shanholtzer, superintendent of the United Methodist Church’s Mon Valley District, opened the Golf Outing with a prayer, then hit the ceremonial first ball off the tee.
The Golf Outing is named in honor of the late Arnold Eddy (1932-2011), a long-time insurance agent in Westover, who established the event many years ago to raise funds for the West Virginia United Methodist Men’s scouting ministries. This year’s event raised more than $7,000.
Next year’s Golf Outing will be held on Sept. 9 — the first Friday after Labor Day.
The Methodist men sponsor a scout camporee at WVU Jackson’s Mill, near Weston, each year. The camporee attracts more than 400 scouts and adult leaders for a weekend of wholesome activities. It is the largest youth event held in the United Methodist Church’s West Virginia Conference.
Next year’s camporee will be held Sept. 9-11 — the weekend after Labor Day.
We thank our 2021 Golf Outing partner, sponsors and donors:
- The West Virginia United Methodist Foundation, Inc.
- Bishop Sandra Steiner Ball and Barry Steiner Ball
- MPB Print & Sign Superstore, Morgantown and Charleston, WV
- In honor of Hal Burke
- George & Malissa Hohmann, Charleston, WV
- J.S. Walker Associates – Realtors, 148 Fayette St., Morgantown, WV
- Roger J. Rasmussen, Saint Albans, WV
- John Sausen, Eagle Scout, Independence, WV
- Monongalia American Legion Post 2, Morgantown
- LIFE United Methodist Men, Fairmont, WV
- Tom Kliethermes, Edward Jones, Fairmont, WV
- Morris Memorial United Methodist Church, Charleston, WV
- Marci and William McCulla, Westover, WV
- McCulla Funeral Home, Westover, WV
- Pam and Delbert Bowers, Morgantown, WV
- Humphreys Memorial United Methodist Church, Sissonville, WV
- Lori Vance Insurance Agency, Morgantown, WV
- Ray Richardson and Jim Coleman, Fairmont, WV
- John and Ann Stevens, Newville, PA
- Spruce Street United Methodist Church, Morgantown, WV
- Little Kanawha District United Methodist Men, Waverly, WV
- Omni Associates – Architects, Fairmont, WV
- Mon Valley District, Fairmont, WV
- Gregory and Lisa Godwin in honor of Ken Shanes
- Stout Memorial United Methodist Church, Parkersburg, WV
- Speedway Tire and Auto Center, Fairmont, WV
- Mark A. Burke — Money Tree Consulting, Morgantown, WV
- Barrackville United Methodist Church, Barrackville, WV
- West Virginia Scout Co-ordinators
- Ralston Press Inc., Buckhannon, WV
Tygart Lake Public Golf Course, Grafton; Elm Grove United Methodist Church, Wheeling; Poca Valley Bank, Clendenin, Elkview, Poca, Sissonville, Spencer, Walton and Winfield, WV; Dwaine McKinney, Masontown, WV